Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Amazing Reads: Avenging Spider-Man #11

I'd like to apologize for the delay in adding anything for the past few days. I've been very busy with school, and a new addition to the site. But that being said, lets look into the final book of Spidey's anniversary. Avenging Spider-Man #11

Not gonna be many jokes folks.
Okay, so to anyone who doesn't know, Avenging Spider-Man is basically Spider-Man Team-Up. Where each month he fights baddies with a different super-hero. This was a practice started long ago, since Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character. (outside of Wolverine). So what better way to get people reading an lesser title than having them appear next to our webslinger. Well, Marvel Team-Up went away, and slowly all the other Spider titles faded, leaving us with Amazing. And roughly a year ago, we get Avenging, holding that proud tradition of Spidey being the biggest crossover whore on the planet.

So what we have here is a Spider-Man/Aunt May team up. Well, okay, Peter Parker/Aunt May team up. Spider-Man is in the first few pages, and a few panels of flashback. This comic is about Peter and Aunt May. Their relationship. And well, Uncle Ben.

Before we move on, there is two basic problems with this book. One, the art is terrible. oh god. I'm not an art person, and I even cringe at this. Not Rob Liefeld bad, but...bad. The other, well, this isn't new territory for Spider-Man. I hate to say that, because this is well done, but Peter blaming himself for Uncle Ben's death, the pain of it. What saves the issue, is the writer isn't trying to hide that it's been done before. Back to the issue.

The story revolves around Peter and Aunt May going to Uncle Ben's grave. The two of them talk. We know Ben wanted Pete to be more athletic, and Aunt May pushed for other avenues. It's really sweet and touching. With flash backs to just after Ben's death. To a few points with Spider-Man, against the Green Goblin, with Punisher. A bit with Gwen Stacey.

Another break before we wrap things up. All this mocking I do, all of the making fun, and jokes comes from a place of love. Spider-Man is my favorite character. I rarely read comics growing up. I got one of those Spider-Man Essentials, and after the boom of X-Men thanks to the movie, i read got those essentials. But I never followed issue to issue. But I watched his cartoons. I knew the story. I knew the major events in his life. Thanks to the internet, I was able to get swaths of information, without reading a single book. So it was a big blow to read about One More Day. It hurt me a lot. Mary-Jane and Peter were married longer than I've been alive. It was awesome. Being that geeky kid that no one liked, and knowing you could grow up and get someone like Mary-Jane. You want to talk about escapism. That was it. Here was a hero who I felt I could be, past everyone else.

Well, that was a bit of a non sequitur, but I felt like putting that in some where, and this book is as good as any. So let us wrap this up. The story is a wonderful 50th anniversary tale (best of them month in my opinion). The only thing that really holds it back is, well, the art. It's terrible. They characters are stiff, the faces are bland. This could be a perfect beautiful book with the right artist. I feel so bad.

I'd pick up this book for anyone who likes Spider-man. It's heart warming, the art you should be able to wade through. And now we shall return you to your regularly programmed action/adventure/comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment