Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Amazing Reads: Spider-Man The Darkest Hour

Welcome to Amazing Reads. With actual reading. This is a novel. Spider-Man The Darkest Hour is written by Jim Butcher, of Harry Dresden fame. He also wrote Codex Alera, but never read those, I prefer the Urban Fantasy, much like Super-Heroes in some weird way. But let's get to this review.

Aww...Black Cat.
This is going to be a review, and less of a commentary on the book. Mostly because three hundred pages is a lot to try and make fun of. But we get a wide array of stuff to talk about. First and foremost the most depressing thing about this book.

In late 2007 a story arc in Spider-Man changed his universe forever. Most of you, if you read comics, know what I'm talking about when I say One More Day. The comic arc that ended J.Micheal Straczynski's run on the Amazing Spider-Man, and ended Peter and MJs Marriage. This is one of the worst story arcs in Spidey history (Which says something.) Why when I started reading comics I never picked up Spider-Man is OMD. So why this matters. Joe Quesada, through editorial mandate, wanted the two to have their marriage removed, not divorce, removed. For one reason or another, he felt MJ was pulling Spider-Man down, maybe because she was horribly written and no one knew what to do with her.

So why is this 2006 book depressing, since it predates OMD? Because I love her here. She's pitch perfect. She plays the role of someone who loves a Hero very much, and is torn by her inability to be of more obvious help to him. Sure she's a moral and emotional rock, but that can feel utterly useless when you are watching your husband being thrown around by the Rhino. It's so sad to me that this was going to go away because people like Quesada couldn't stand to have a marriage that has lasted longer than I've been alive.

This has turned into a OMD rant, sorry. Back to this book. Jim Butcher captures Peter well, and if you ever read Harry Dresden, that shouldn't surprise you. The two have similar personalities. Peter deals with his job as a part time Science teacher for his old High School, and is forced to play substitute coach. This doesn't go well, because well, of course it doesn't. 

That sub plot is woven partly through the story, but is lost once the big bad shows up. Three super strong annoying bastards calling them selves the Ancients. They are a spin off of a recent storyline by J.M.S. I haven't read. They're mean, they're intimidating, and provide a genuine threat. Sure Spidey's gonna win, but boy was he beaten and good.

Another high point. The Rhino. His character is explored and something very interesting occurs when you realize more and more about him. I'm sure a lot of this may be in the comics, but I don't know all the finer details of some of the villains. 

The stranger part (God I hate myself) is the use of Dr. Strange. I am so eternally grateful that an effort is made in this book to contact the Fantastic Four and the Avengers while the threat of the Ancients is introduced, it makes sense. And when it gets really mystical, he does the smartest thing he can, and visits the Sorcerer Supreme. There is a small arc for the good Doctor, that doesn't make much sense, but I've always liked him, despite almost never reading him, so I'm glad for his appearance. And the way he does help Spider-Man, without helping him.

All in all, I like this book. It may be because it was a great distraction during a crappy few days, but I had a lot of fun with it. I'm not going to put a score here, just a recommendation. If you like Spider-Man, Black Cat, The Rhino, or even Dr. Strange, pick up this book.

Now if only I could find a good Daredevil book, I'd be really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment